Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why I Need to Find a New Job

So, when I started this blog I never intended to write any posts on the management at my hotel. I like my immediate boss, the operations supervisor. I like the GM, I like my co-workers (except when they're 15 minutes late to take over my shift), I like everyone. I'm that kind of person.

So today, I got a phone call asking to speak to my boss. The person on the phone asked for him by name, but their phone reception was terrible and I could barely hear them. And, as you would imagine, we get a lot of solicitors calling our hotel. So I asked them their name. Very politely. "Who's calling, please?" And then again. "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" And I still can't hear them. So I ask again.

He snaps. "I already told you 3 times!" I tell him, "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't hear you." "Just connect me! Does it matter who's calling?!?" I tell him, yes, it matters - I need to know who it is so I don't pass on a junk call (though I left that last part out). He refuses to tell me who he is so I just pass him along to my manager, figuring he can deal with this rude asshole (a bit redundant, but appropriate in this case).

So I connect him, and he's promptly disconnected - perhaps because he's in an area with very poor reception? I go into the back to find out who the jerk was - maybe it was one of the people from our franchise management company. There's one guy who calls every day, multiple times, and I just recognize his voice and connect him to the back. But I'm thinking no, because the person was so rude and he's always been polite on the phone.

So the guy calls back on my manager's cell and surprise - it was the guy from our management company. He's yelling into the phone about how rude I was and my manager goes outside to take the call.

Now, I was not rude. I would admit it if I was, but in this case I was not. It's not my fault he didn't have any goddamn cell reception. He tells my manager that I can't tell people that I need to know who they are before I connect them. (???)

Maybe I'm being oversensitive. I worked the 3pm-11pm shift last night (because I'm nice and agreed to switch when asked) and now I'm working the 7am-3pm today. But honestly, when management treats employees like they're idiots and screams at them, that's a morale deflater. I am SO angry right now - I take all kinds of abuse from the guests, and I don't need it from management. And I was in a pretty good mood when I came in - despite 4 hours of sleep last night. I need to find a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment