Thursday, August 26, 2010

The New Guy

We have a new front desk associate. Well, I guess new isn't really the right word anymore. He's been here for over a month. But you wouldn't know it from the things he does. In the time he's been here, he's:

Chewed on the ends of all the pens at the desk.

Somehow changed all the vacant dirty rooms to vacant ready - twice. We have no idea how he did this, but my manager really enjoyed frantically checking every room to find clean ones for check-ins.

Turned on all the movies even though he was told we keep them off unless a guest requests it. I then received a bunch of panicked calls the next day - "I didn't mean to buy a movie! Can you take it off my bill?" "Oh, don't worry sir, the movies are all off unless you request otherwise." I then see that every room has their movies turned ON. It was a real WTF moment.

Lost a guest's tax-exempt form, and made me get a new one from her - I actually found it later that day in the night audit. It doesn't belong there.

Told a guest that we gave her room away when we didn't. I come in at 7, and this guest, who was supposed to check in the night before (but had a room guaranteed with a credit card) is standing at the desk while NG runs around frantically checking vacant rooms for a clean one and telling me that no rooms are clean in the system. Meanwhile, I pull up the room status report and two kings are listed as vacant ready. "What's wrong with 303? Or 227?" "What? Oh...nothing, I don't think."

Oh boy. I did some training with him myself, so he's been taught how things work here, and it's not brain surgery. The GM says as long as he tries, that's all you can ask for. Oh? So, if a housekeeper couldn't do her job but tried hard, and we got complaints about every room she did, that would be fine? The problem here is really just simple immaturity (he's just out of high school), combined with a perpetual head in the clouds. But it's hard to find people to work nights, so I guess he's staying. If he doesn't quit.

1 comment:

  1. It's the "warm body" philosophy. A warm body is better than no body. Wrong.

    ReplyDelete