Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Customer Service

I find customer service to be an odd industry. It rewards people for being whiny brats.

Yesterday, I had a guest come down to pay cash. But first, he asks me about newspapers. I point to the table where we keep them. and he asks why it wasn't at his door this morning. I am momentarily stymied, but tell him we don't do that and again point to the table, where over a dozen newspapers are neatly stacked.

"You did it the last time I was here!"

Well, we don't do it anymore, so go grab one and stop bothering me. He thens complains about his TV not working the night before, for which I apologize. He pays cash and I check him out.

He then went to go get breakfast, and comes back, waving one of the small milk containers in my face (unopened). "These are expired! You have expired milk!" I can't see the expiration date with him waving the container around, so I reach for the container. He won't give it to me, and I tell him I'll get him a fresh one. I come out from behind the desk, and he leaves. He then goes back upstairs to his room. That he checked out of.

Housekeeping, thinking he's left, went into the room to clean it and he gets very upset, calling the front desk and asking for our complaint number. At this point I transfer him to my manager. $9/hour is not enough to deal with this bullshit.

He wanted his money back, but my manager said that wasn't going to happen. Instead, he got some free rewards points. And, may I add here, he used a coupon to get an extremely low rate - then complained about everything. People...

And by the way, my manager checked every single container of milk we had in the kitchen, AND went into the garbage to look for expired containers. Does it surprise anyone to learn that he didn't find even one?

2 comments:

  1. People are so used to complaining and getting free stuff. If anything is ruining our economy it's all the freebies corporations feel they have to give out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not think these problems happened to everyone... thank you for your blog..it is realky helpfull
    Sincerely..another front desk worker. ..

    ReplyDelete