Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Post-Midnight Arrivals

I'm not really a fan of working weekends. Not for the reason you would think, but because the weekend guests are always more work. Plus - children. At least I usually get a few stories out of it.

So, this Saturday, I get a call from this woman asking about our availability. She's stayed a few times before. I tell her we have rooms available, and go to set up the reservation for her. But she has some questions first.

"So, we're going to be arriving like 1 in the morning."
"That's no problem, we'll hold the room for you."
"But if I arrive at 1 in the morning, what time do we have to check out?"
Wonderful. I already know where this is going.
"12:00, ma'am."
"You mean we have to leave at 12 even if we get there at 1 in the morning?!"
"Yes ma'am."
Long pause. "Well, I don't know. That wasn't the time I was thinking we'd check out."
"What time would you like to check out, ma'am?" I'm figuring she'll tell me like 1 or 2, which is fine. Housekeeping's still working then.
"I was thinking 4 or 5 in the morning on Monday."
Now it's my turn to pause. "So you'll be staying for two nights then."
"No we won't! It's just one."
Sigh. People are so stupid.
"Ma'am, even if you arrive after midnight tonight, we still have to hold the room for you. We can't sell it to anyone else. So it's still a night's stay, even if you arrive after midnight."
"I don't know. Let me think about it."

She eventually called back, made sure I could give her a room on the first floor (so she could give herself lung cancer more easily) and came to stay - for TWO nights.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think people assume the magical housekeeping fairies are on call all the time. And work for free. Bah. SkippyMom

    ReplyDelete