Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Broadview, I Hate You

I've been meaning to write about my Saturday from two weeks ago for a while, but this one has to go up first. Last night just took the cake for the worst shift I've ever had, bar none. And it was all thanks to our internet service provider. The world really would implode without internet.

I came in for my shift, and the internet was down. It had only been down for about an hour, it was fairly early in the afternoon, no one was there, fine. It was really just a minor inconvenience that we couldn't take new credit cards and we couldn't make reservations. We were hoping it wouldn't be down for too long.

Well, guess what? It was down for SEVEN HOURS, six of which were during my shift. During that time, there was no wireless or wired internet. So our system couldn't connect to the the main system, which meant we weren't receiving reservations or cancellations, we couldn't make reservations, we couldn't edit reservations, we couldn't take new credit cards (change from the one guests used to hold the room), we couldn't look up rewards information...anything that the central reservations has anything to do with, we couldn't do. It sucked.

And even once the internet came back, the wireless was still intermittent. So guests were complaining...I would say around ten complaints. Resetting the router did nothing. I had off today, but I'm sure many discounts were given this morning.

That is the world without internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment