Sunday, September 19, 2010

Making a Mountain of a Molehill

I came into work this past Friday and promptly read the weekly GSS. Usually I love the GSS. Because I never have complaints, or the ones I do have are so ridiculous we just shrug and dismiss them. And it's always funny to hear people complain over nothing. OR (and these do exist) to have some nice feedback and say the stay was wonderful.

But anyway, in this week's GSS there was a complaint. It wasn't specifically about me, it was about the room and my response to it. I remember this guy - he and his girlfriend checked in, all was pleasant, sent them up to one of our best rooms (back facing, higher floor). They came down dressed for dinner, and are breezing past the front desk when I stop them to ask how the room is. The guy tells me some of the TV channels are out and the hairdryer isn't working.

This particular day, we had been getting a lot of complaints about TV channels not working. I didn't know the reason for it, but it was a weekend and my manager wasn't there. So I smile, tell him channels are out in a lot of rooms, and apologize - for both the TV and the hairdryer, since those are attached to the wall and we don't have extras. He didn't ask to switch rooms and I didn't offer - I don't remember why. Either we were full that weekend (which is very possible) or I just thought those two things were so minor that they didn't necessitate a move to another room.

Well, in the GSS, he wrote about how they complained to the lady at the front desk, who "chuckled and said channels were out in a lot of rooms". He then goes on to say how he expected to be offered another room, when a guest complains something should be done, etc. DID HE NOT HEAR ME WHEN I SAID CHANNELS WERE OUT IN MANY ROOMS? Any room I moved him to would have likely have had the same problem. And if we were full, they had already used the room, and I couldn't reuse it for someone else, which would have made us overbooked. As a friendly fellow blogger once said, housekeepers are not always working!

Now I am annoyed. People!

**An update - I checked back on this guy's reservation and we were full that weekend. Labor Day. So I couldn't have moved them even if he had asked. Which he didn't.

2 comments:

  1. If he's there with his girlfriend, shouldn't he be doing something other than watching TV?

    ReplyDelete