Wednesday, October 27, 2010

You're Not That Special

At my new job, I only work the morning shift. So I don't do many check-ins. Which kind of makes me sad, because I like checking guests in. Except when they're like the woman from this afternoon.

She came in and was a rewards member, the second highest level. Or third, depending on how you look at it - the highest level also has a special, more elite level. So she's the second or third highest level, which really isn't all that special. We're a business hotel - we have dozens of people who check in every day who are the highest level.

But I'm checking her in and she asks to be upgraded. I say no. At this hotel, they really don't upgrade people that often. Or when they do, they're company VIPs rather than rewards members. We had a member of the highest, most elite level request an upgrade today and they wouldn't give it to him. So she's certainly not getting one.

She complains that at other hotels she always gets upgraded, and she never does here. I tell her I'm sorry, and that even higher members don't usually get upgraded. She complains some more, sorry, sorry, and she goes off to her room.

She calls down a few minutes later. Upon check-in, I gave her the member's package, which is keys and a keyholder thanking you for being a member, and a coupon for breakfast. She says she noticed that I gave her a package for members, and wants to know if there's a package specifically for her level. WTF? I tell her no.

"Oh, really? That's silly."

She calls back a few minutes later, wanting to speak to the sales manager. Presumably about the upgrade she didn't get. I connect her to the sales manager, who isn't there. So she calls back again, wanting to speak to the guest services manager. I tell her to leave a message on my supervisor's voicemail. This woman is a pain in the ass.

So I go back and tell the assistant GM about her. I don't even say her name, and she knows who I'm talking about. She's stayed 8 times previously and been upgraded twice. During one of her previous stays, she heard a man who had fallen out of bed yelling for help and alerted hotel personnel - and then ASKED TO BE COMPENSATED FOR HER GOOD DEED.

Thank god she doesn't stay that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment