Friday, September 16, 2011

How to Not Get Hired

I would think this is an unstated rule, but apparently not. So I will spell it out.

WHEN YOU GO INTO A BUSINESS TO APPLY FOR A JOB, YOU SHOULD NOT BE RUDE/NEEDY/DISTRACTING TO THE EMPLOYEES.

I was working a Friday about a month ago when this guy came in to apply for a job. Now, Fridays in August kind of suck. Because everyone has to get married in the summer (so unoriginal), we had 4 wedding groups arriving that day. This day was particularly busy. About the half the arrivals for the day actually checked in before 3pm (check-in time) because wedding guests think they are entitled to check in early. Otherwise, how are they going to get dressed?!? And do their hair?!? I don't know, nor do I care. It's not my problem.

But anyway, back to the guy, who was a problem. My co-worker was checking someone else in when he comes up to me to ask a question. Now, our job application is very standard. I can't even remember what he asked anymore, but it was very self-explanatory. I gave him some perfunctory answer so he moves on to another section and another question. By this time, a line is building up behind him. He, of course, is oblivious to this fact.

So I tell him, trying to be polite, that I have to help the guests and I'll help him when I can. Then I tilt my head to the side, trying to indicate that he should move away.

He stares at me blankly. I motion with my head again, staring at him and not saying anything. He stands there for another few seconds before moving, and I call out the the next woman standing in line "Hi, how are you?"

She approaches me tentatively. "You can help me?" And I realize she heard me tell the man to go away (in essence) and of course she doesn't know what he's here for. I am not pleased. I tell her yes, i can help her, and say the man is here applying for a job and I'll assist him later.

I tell my supervisor (who is in charge on hiring) about him when I bring the application back. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

3 comments:

  1. When I worked at restaurants anyone silly enough to come in between 11 - 2 or 4 - close weren't hired. That was our busiest times and who had time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your whole blog & am thankful you wrote it! I work a similar job & appreciated all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is one of a kind. It is well written. Thank you for sharing this. affordable hotel in sukhumvit

    ReplyDelete