Friday, September 16, 2011

How to Not Get Hired

I would think this is an unstated rule, but apparently not. So I will spell it out.

WHEN YOU GO INTO A BUSINESS TO APPLY FOR A JOB, YOU SHOULD NOT BE RUDE/NEEDY/DISTRACTING TO THE EMPLOYEES.

I was working a Friday about a month ago when this guy came in to apply for a job. Now, Fridays in August kind of suck. Because everyone has to get married in the summer (so unoriginal), we had 4 wedding groups arriving that day. This day was particularly busy. About the half the arrivals for the day actually checked in before 3pm (check-in time) because wedding guests think they are entitled to check in early. Otherwise, how are they going to get dressed?!? And do their hair?!? I don't know, nor do I care. It's not my problem.

But anyway, back to the guy, who was a problem. My co-worker was checking someone else in when he comes up to me to ask a question. Now, our job application is very standard. I can't even remember what he asked anymore, but it was very self-explanatory. I gave him some perfunctory answer so he moves on to another section and another question. By this time, a line is building up behind him. He, of course, is oblivious to this fact.

So I tell him, trying to be polite, that I have to help the guests and I'll help him when I can. Then I tilt my head to the side, trying to indicate that he should move away.

He stares at me blankly. I motion with my head again, staring at him and not saying anything. He stands there for another few seconds before moving, and I call out the the next woman standing in line "Hi, how are you?"

She approaches me tentatively. "You can help me?" And I realize she heard me tell the man to go away (in essence) and of course she doesn't know what he's here for. I am not pleased. I tell her yes, i can help her, and say the man is here applying for a job and I'll assist him later.

I tell my supervisor (who is in charge on hiring) about him when I bring the application back. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

3 comments:

  1. When I worked at restaurants anyone silly enough to come in between 11 - 2 or 4 - close weren't hired. That was our busiest times and who had time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your whole blog & am thankful you wrote it! I work a similar job & appreciated all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy to read your blog and will be waiting for your next update.I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.
    Hotel Lobby Supplies

    ReplyDelete