Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stop Calling Here!!!

For some reason, whenever I have someone from a certain area of the world stay (think Middle East/India area), they receive lots of phone calls. I don't know if it's because they don't know how to use email or if it's because the person isn't trusted to handle company business without lots of instruction, but whatever it is, it's annoying as hell. All calls to the hotel go through me. We don't have something where it gives you the option to put in an extension first. Everything goes through me.

And for those of you who are thinking, well, that's your job, get over it, I might agree - except when people get five phone calls in an hour. Honestly - it's irritating. At a certain point, I pick up the phone and I already know who's on the other end.

One person, when calling for this guy (who may or may not have been Indian) asked me when he was checking out. I told him Friday. I probably wasn't supposed to do that. Then he asked what room he's in. "We don't give that information out." Then (this may be one of the best questions I've received since I started working in hotels, and that's saying something) he asked where he was going when he left. Umm, are you kidding? What a stupid question. Do I look like his travel agent? Cue a flat "I don't know" on my end.

I was so glad when that guy left. Seriously, stop calling here!!!

4 comments:

  1. I really don't think people realize how retarded their questions are until they ask them, and then they get all defensive because they know they're stupid. It would be much easier if they immediately admitted they're stupid and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I honestly don't know. Why would you ask me? Perhaps you could ask your friend."

    I would not be able to stop myself on that last question. I would be as polite as I could be [read: not much] and then just say it.

    That is a ::headdesk:: to the nth degree of stupidity kind of question.

    My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's not my day to watch him" is my favorite smart assed answer to that question. Which is why it would be an oxymoron to place me in a hospitality job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, I would love to say that :) But I do need a job.

    ReplyDelete