Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Telephone Pet Peeve

There is something people do that I absolutely hate. Seriously, it drives me freakin' insane. Let me tell you about it.

A guest in the hotel calls someone outside the hotel, using the hotel phone (which is a complete rip-off, by the way). That person misses the call. They see the missed call on their phone, and for whatever reason, decide to just randomly call back that number and see if it's someone they know. I do not understand this tendency. Especially since I am the one that has to field all these phone calls. For people that do this, let's go over how ridiculous this sounds.

"Good morning, thank you for calling -----. This is ---- speaking, how may I help you?"
"Yeah, someone just called me from this number."
"This is a hotel, ma'am."
"What?"
"A hotel. The ----. We have over 150 rooms here."
"Well, someone just called me from this number."
"I don't know who that was, ma'am. We have over 150 rooms here."

And so on.

When I miss phone calls, I do not call back numbers I don't know. I figure if it was that important, they would leave a message. If I'm job-hunting and think I may have missed a call from a potential employer, I google the number. If it was that employer, I call them. Why do people feel the need to call back every number that calls their phone? It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

2 comments:

  1. Because people are afraid they might miss something.

    Why do people Tweet? Thinking people want to know every little thing you're doing is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, but tons of people do it.

    ReplyDelete