Monday, June 20, 2011

Pre Check-in?

I don't understand why people seem to think the check-in process is so arduous. It's not. Here's how it goes - a person comes in, I greet them, get their name, check their rate and the number of nights they're here, swipe their credit card, get them their keys, and they're on their way. If the person doesn't ask ten thousand questions about the hotel and the surrounding area as they check in, this process can take less than a minute. And yet, people seem to think it's so difficult. They also don't seem to understand what "check-in" means.

I was at the desk last week when someone arrives. At 8 AM. We have nothing available, which I tell him and apologize for. I tell him we'll have something around 12 or 1, if he wants to come back later. He doesn't seem thrilled, but what did he expect? It was 8 in the morning. So he's all set to leave and come back later, but first he has one more question for me. "Can I check in now and get my keys later?"

Sigh. Why do people always ask this? When you check in to a hotel, it's a type of exchange. You give me payment, I give you keys. I also assign you to a room at check-in. If there are no clean rooms, I cannot check you in. Because where am I going to direct the computer to put you? And no, I cannot check you into a dirty room.

I told him no, just as one of the managers was walking by. After he leaves, she tells me I should soften my response and apologize, explain...exactly what I did when he first came in.

There are no check-ins without clean rooms. Why is that so difficult to understand?

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just found your blog today and it is literally making me laugh out loud. I currently work at the front desk of a hilton hotel and i have had almost every one of these experiences so far! Im sure your program is different but at hilton we check people in all the time while the room is dirty and just call them and give them the keys when the room is ready for them. When we check in to a dirty room it shows up as "Pending" in the system. I wonder if you have a way of doing this.
    Keep on bloggin though! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know how my username became crazy Jenna! haha cause thats definitely not it!

    ReplyDelete