Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why America's Going Downhill

Yes, I know it's been a while since I've written. I've been pretty busy working 70-hour weeks and trying to choose a law school for next year (actually, I've decided. but for my father's sanity, i am "weighing my options"). But this guy's story just begged to be told.

He came in Sunday, and for whatever reason was booked in a suite. Probably because we were sold out this week. He came in Monday to ask about breakfast, but that's a whole different story in itself. So he's in a suite, and at first he tried feeding us this crap about how he "thought all the rooms were like that" and he "didn't realize he was in a suite". Riiight. So he wants a lower rate, but he doesn't want to change rooms. That's not happening. The afternoon shift yesterday tried to get in touch with him all evening, but he wasn't picking up. So guess who gets to deal with this guy when he finally gets all his messages? Me.

He called down this morning and said he didn't understand what the messages were saying. I pull up his reservation and recognize the booking - the guy who wants neither to move nor to pay. I tell him we'd be happy to move him into a new room, and he says that's what he wants. But he's running late and wants to know if housekeeping can move his things for him.

We're really not supposed to do that. No one from the hotel is supposed to move a guest's belongings because the hotel is liable if something is missing. But we've been trying to resolve this problem for a few days, and we've done it before, so I say yes, and tell him they'll move his belongings as long as everything's packed up.

Guest: "So they'll move my stuff for me?"
Me: "As long as everything's packed up, yes."

I repeated this because it was very important that everything be packed. Housekeeping won't/can't gather up and move toiletries, clothes, etc. Additionally, my tone was totally neutral as I said this. Sometimes I say something to a guest and wish later I'd phrased it a little more decorously. But going over it again, I wouldn't say anything differently. But apparently this struck a nerve.

Guest (nastily, in case anyone was thinking otherwise): "You just told me that. You don't have to tell me again. I heard you. And you don't have to be so rude about it."
Me (somewhat surprised on the other end): "I said it again because housekeeping can't move your belongings unless everything is packed."
Guest: "Then you should have said that instead of being so rude! This is why America's going downhill! Everyone in the service industry is so rude! No one knows good service anymore!"

And so on, with several more comments about how rude I was. I think he was hoping for an apology, but I refuse to apologize to such an asshole - especially over nothing. My coworker said I should have told him it was inappropriate to speak to me that way, and I should have, but at that point I was a little stunned. I don't think I've ever dealt with such a nasty, unreasonable guest.

And he thinks the service industry is leading America to its downfall? Methinks otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. Actually I think it is the "sense of entitlement" people [read b*tches] that are causing the downfall in America. No one is nice to anyone anymore - so you repeated a sentence and he thought that was rude? He is just pissy because he didn't get to keep the suit for the price of a room - which is what he was trying to do when he said he was too busy to move. You, kindly, called him on it [he didn't think you would offer the move, I am sure] and when he didn't get his way he lashed out.

    He needs to get stuffed.

    PS - very nice to see you btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handled that so well. I don't know how you didn't just laugh in his ear when he started talking about America going downhill, but I guess that would have caused another lecture/rant, so it's a good thing that you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty SkippyMom, happy to be back. I'm so busy lately, I leave the house at before 7 and usually get home till after 8 (sigh). But it will be worth it when I have less student loans to pay off! And in the future I will try to be a better updater!

    And ty to aneducatedserver - I actually wish I had told him to stop talking to me that way (in a polite, hotel-approved manner, of course). We had a good laugh about it later at the desk - I am single handedly causing the downfall of America!

    ReplyDelete
  4. paraphrase:
    "Why in my day (a few weeks after fire was invented) we didn't have all these hooligans. Everybody followed the rules, war didn't exist, and shit smelled like roses."

    ReplyDelete